My family is one that has decided to school year round, instead of taking the traditional “summer break.” We do this because it is the perfect fit for our family. For us, the pros of schooling year round are plentiful.
Saying that we follow a twelve month school calendar doesn’t mean that we don’t take breaks, even extended ones. For example, instead of taking the summer off, we choose to take the month of December off to enjoy the holidays together.
We also usually take a couple of weeks off from book learning in September and October to spend time outside of the house, exploring and enjoying the beautiful weather.
Here are five reasons why we school year round:
1. It is hot in Florida during the summer. I’d rather spend the majority of those days sitting comfortably inside my air conditioned house, rather than running around town. And if we’re going to be inside anyway, we might as well do school.
2. Vacation spots are busy during the summer. I prefer to take time off to go and explore when the majority of families are home, keeping to the traditional school schedule. Field trips and vacations are a lot more enjoyable when they aren’t packed with other kids doing the same thing. And many times it’s cheaper.
3. Since we don’t take two consecutive months off from learning, there is more retention and less resistance to learning. I have a hard enough time getting my girls back on track in January after our month off. I can’t imagine doing it after more than two. And my kids like school!
4. Having an entire calendar year to work with, instead of the traditional 180 day school year, gives us flexibility in our learning. Lots of things happen during the year. There are many days when life demands our attention. I like not having to stress over taking time away from school to enjoy opportunities and take care of my family’s needs.
5. I want to decide when we should take breaks and vacation. I want the ability to take time off if we need to. I want it to be our choice, based on what is going on with our family, not because it has been decided for us.
Please don’t misunderstand what schooling year round means for our family. We still take time to enjoy summer. My kids go to Animal Kingdom camp every year. We go to the beach as often as we can. We move some of our schooling into the pool. But all of that is worked around our learning.