Add some fun to your next travel adventure with this road trip scavenger hunt for older kids.
It seems like homeschoolers are on the road a lot, whether it’s for a field trip, visiting family or taking a vacation. We spend a crazy amount of time in our cars and sometimes, those hours can get boring.
With today’s technology, it’s easier than ever to stay occupied during a long trip, but if everyone stays “plugged in” the entire time, you miss out on the best part of road trips – family bonding through shared experiences.
Remember the road trips you took as a kid? I’d bet that most parents have a funny story they can share about a car trip they took when they were young.
This post contains affiliate links.
For parents of teens, it’s sometimes difficult to find fun, non-electronic things to do in the car because a lot of road trip games are geared toward younger children.
That’s why I created this Road Trip Scavenger Hunt with older kids in mind. It includes 50 things to search for that will challenge your middle school student.
*The free promotion for this has expired, please enjoy this product at a great low price.
Before your next long car trip, download copies for your family and see who can find the most items.
To make life a bit easier, consider having everyone start at a different clue, that way everyone is looking for something different.
Tips for a Smooth Scavenger Hunt
I would suggest laying down some ground rules before getting started to eliminate any confusion later.
- Before the game begins, let everyone look over the list so they’re familiar with they’re searching for.
- The game is “on” when the car is in motion and “paused” when it’s parked.
- Before you can check off a box, someone must verify the sighting. This will help remove the temptation to cheat.
- Everyone has to find their own objects, meaning more than one person can’t claim the same object for their list.
Want to make it even harder?
- Set a time limit.
- Make everyone go in order.
Grab your Road Trip Scavenger Hunt before your next road trip!