This Summer Pictionary Game is a great way to liven up your tween’s summer vacation.
If your tweens and teens love playing games, make sure you have a bunch on hand for them to choose during their break from school.
This printable game is fun for all ages and can provide hours of laughter and is sure to bring out some friendly competition among family members. It will keep everyone entertained for hours.
You’ll be amazed at how creative your kids can get when they play this summer-themed drawing game.
Best of all, it can be enjoyed at home or when traveling. So don’t forget to bring it along on your family vacation.
This Summer Pictionary Game is a great activity and is sure to be a hit in your household. So grab some markers and paper and get ready to have some fun!
– Links in this post are affiliate links.
What Is Pictionary?
Classic Pictionary is Mattel’s party game where players try to guess a word or phrase based on pictures being drawn.
It’s a simple game that’s easy to learn and play, making it perfect for tweens to play with friends, at a family reunion, during a summer party, or anytime over their break.
How To Play Summer Pictionary
Summer Pictionary is played the same way as the original board game, with a couple of changes.
One is that all the clues are summer related. That’s one reason it’s the perfect summer activity for tweens!
And second, you don’t play with cards. Instead, you’ll need to download and print off the Pictionary word lists. The pdf file below includes 48 unique clue words. Cut them out and put them into a bowl.
Gather the rest of the supplies – a whiteboard (like this DIY dry erase board) or paper and some markers.
Here are the rules of the game. Divide your group into two teams and take turns choosing a summer-related word or phrase from the container. Choose one team to start.
One player from that team needs to pick a summer word from the bowl and draw it on the board for their fellow teammates to guess. If the team guesses the correct word before time runs out, they get a point.
If they don’t, the other team gets a chance to guess. If they’re correct, they get the point.
Play continues with each team alternating choosing and drawing clues until they’re all gone.
Whoever has the most points (by giving the most correct answers) at the end is declared the winner!
At the bottom of this post you can find the free copy of the word list.
Can You Play Pictionary Outside?
Absolutely! You’ll have a great time no matter where you play this fun game.
In fact, moving outdoors during summer time is a great option for a summer-themed drawing game.
The same rules still apply – each team takes turns choosing and drawing clues for their teams to guess.
You can use the same supplies as above (paper/whiteboard and markers) if you’re playing on your porch, deck, or yard. Or, mix it up by drawing the clues on your sidewalk or driveway with different colors of chalk.
Here are some ideas you can use to change things up for your family.
- Have the team guessing be the opposite from the person drawing. So the person drawing is trying to get the opposite team to guess the clue.
- Skip the teams altogether when playing Pictionary. Instead take turns drawing and let everyone try to guess.
- Make it a competition by awarding bonus points for creative drawings.
- After you go through this list, make up new words to keep playing.
- Add an extra challenge by making players draw using only their non-dominant hand.
- Give the team members more or less time to sketch.
- Incorporate some physical challenges like having the person drawing stand on one foot, or turn around three times before they start.
- If you don’t want to draw, use the clue list below to play a summer charades game instead.
With a little creativity and imagination, this is sure to be the hit of your teen’s summer vacation. And it’s a great opportunity for them to have some fun with friends or together during family gatherings.
Summer Pictionary Word List
Because this game doesn’t use standard game cards, you’ll need to print off this list of Pictionary words on your home printer.
This free pdf includes 48 different summer-related clues for you to use when playing this game.
Grab this list of summer words (instant download) by clicking on the box below.
Drawing Game Supply List
You’ll need the following items to play.
- a small dry erase whiteboard and dry erase markers
- white printing paper and colorful markers
- sidewalk chalk for outdoor activities and summer games
More Summer Fun
Looking for more summer activities for your tweens? Check out these related items.
- Free Printable Summer Scattergories Game
- This Summer Photo Scavenger Hunt is so much fun
- Summer Rock Painting Ideas
- Summer-Themed Drawing Challenge
Whether you’re playing indoors or outdoors, this game is sure to bring out laughter and smiles all around.
So make this summer break memorable for the whole family by getting creative with summer-themed Pictionary!