DIY Valentine’s Day Pom Pom Garland
Valentine’s Day pom pom garland is a cute holiday craft for tweens.
After Christmas, things can get kind of bland around the house, that’s why it’s always fun to decorate for Valentine’s day. It’s the perfect reason to add a punch of color to your home.
We love making homemade things to celebrate different holidays. With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, this pom pom garland is an easy project to work on. You may already have everything you need.
This kid-friendly craft will definitely get your family into the spirit this Valentine’s Day.
Any links in this post may be affiliate links. See my disclosure statement.
Valentine’s Day Pom Pom Garland
Adding some festive touches around the house is a great way to liven up your décor for the season. And the easiest way to get some unique Valentine-themed decorations is to make them yourself.
Whether you’re spending the holiday with just the family or you’re hosting a fun gathering, this DIY garland is an awesome Valentine decoration.
It’s a great way to decorate without going overboard. It offers just the right amount of pizzazz if you only want a handful of Valentine’s Day trimmings.
And, if you’re looking to go all out, you can pair the garland with other festive decorations. In fact, make a few to put up around the house.
They look great on the mantel, wall, windows, and staircase. Hang one in your office. Your kids could even make one for their rooms. It would work well dangling from a loft bed.
Two enormous benefits to making your own garland is that you can make it as colorful as you’d like, and the exact length you need it.
It’s not only a great way to add some classic Valentine’s Day colors to your home, it’s an inexpensive project that’s fun for everyone.
DIY Valentine Yarn Pom-Pom Garland
This is such a simple craft to make. To begin, you must create a bunch of yarn pom poms. This is the longest part of the project, but my oldest made them while sitting around watching TV.
For medium-sized poms, wrap the yarn around your hand about 100 times. You could also use a fork instead of your hand.
Tie a piece of yarn around the wrapped pieces. Once it’s secure, cut the ends and fluff out the strands.
Braid pieces of yarn to the length you want your decoration, attach a piece of wire to the pom-poms, and secure them to the garland.
The number of poms you’ll need depends on the length of the finished garland and the how far apart you want them to be. We used 12 for ours and spaced them approximately 6 inches away from each other.
Keep reading for the easy step-by-step tutorial and printable supply list.
Make Your Garland Unique
It’s super easy to make this DIY craft your own.
- Pick whatever colors work for you. Use bold tones or more muted shades. Stick with the traditional Valentine’s day pallet or mix it up to match your décor.
- Add some paper hearts to the garland in between the yarn balls.
- Mix up the size of the pom-poms instead of making them all uniform.
Materials Used for this Valentine’s Day Craft
You’ll need very few supplies to make this simple project.
There are a few tools listed below that will make it easier for you to make this Valentine’s Day pom pom garland.
How to Make a Pom Pom Garland
Are you ready to make your own Valentine garland? Here are detailed instructions for you.
Valentine Pom Pom Garland
This simple craft will make your home look festive this Valentine's Day.
- Choose a color of yarn.
- Cut a piece about 8" in length. Place it between your index and middle finger so that the ends lie evenly on each side of your hand and keep it there.
- Take the end of the ball of yarn and start wrapping the yarn around the outside of your three three middle fingers. For a medium sized pompom, wrap the yarn around your fingers approximately 100 times. This is a good sized ball and the sized we made. See the notes for more sizing information.
- When you've circled it enough times, cut the yarn, so what's around your hand is separated from the rest of the skein.
- Using your free hand, take the 8" piece, slide it toward the end of your fingers, and tie it around the wrapped strands, securing them in a bunch.
- Cut through all of the loops on both ends, so the yarn is in individual pieces.
- Fluff out the strands and use your scissors to trim the pom pom down as needed to create an even, round ball.
- Cut a piece of wire approximately 9" long.
- Fold the wire in half, wrap the ends around the middle of the pom-pom, and twist them together to secure the wires. Use the pliers to push the wire ends flat so they're not poking out of the ball.
- Secure the wire around the pompom by twisting it just above the yarn. Now it's secured to the wire and you have a loop on top of it.
- Tie the ends of three strands of yarn together and braid them to make the garland. When you reach your desired length, cut and tie off the yarn.
- Thread the braid through the wire loops on the pom poms. Set the the pom poms where you want them on the braid and push or twist the wire together to keep them in place.
- Hang up your garland.
To make the pom-poms:
To make the garland:
Be as creative by using as many colors as you'd like when making your pom poms. We used the three classic Valentine hues for ours.
As I mentioned, we wrapped our yarn around 100 times, creating medium-sized poms. For smaller ones, just wrap the yarn fewer times. For large pompoms, wrap it more.
As you can see, this craft is easy to customize, making it perfect for any occasion. Spend some time with your older kids this holiday making your own version that you can hang up to get everyone excited about Valentine’s Day.
Additional Valentine’s Day Crafts and Activities for Tweens
- This Valentine ribbon tree looks stunning when completed and uses only a handful of supplies.
- Painted rocks are a super cute way to share your love with others.
- Use your pom pom garland as part of the décor for a Galentine’s Day celebration.